Before diving into the ranking factor, You ought to know the importance of keywords. So, What is a Keyword? Keyword is the key to any search operation. It is the crux of SEO. To define a keyword, it can be considered a word of particular importance to the theme or topic of the website. To make it more simple; it is the words used by a user to perform a search operation.
Let me demonstrate how the whole search operation works. If the keyword used by any user matches with the one in your website, there are chances for your website to pop up in the search results. But there could be umpteen number of websites that share the same topic as yours. So there lies the challenge. You need to overpower all those websites to get your site’s presence felt in the web world.
Now, How to choose the keywords so that your website stands out from the rest of the crowd? On what basis are you going to select them? The most desirable method is to perform a keyword research. So, How do you do a keyword research?
- One commonly used method is the Competitor Research. Here, You can try collecting a list of websites that have better ranking than yours. You just need to keep an eye on the keywords used by them. These keywords can offer you some spark regarding the keywords that you could use. But, there is no hard and fast rule that you should use them. You may or may not give it a try.
- Another method is to drill into the Internet to reach the free tools for keyword planning. The one I would suggest is the Google Keyword Planner. It is the most widely used free tool provided by Google. Here, the rule of thumb is to look for keywords with low competition and high search volume. Always see to it that you choose long tail keywords i.e a keyword phrase consisting of 3 plus words. Why because, These long tail keywords provide more specific search terms to the search engine.
- I am quiet unsure whether you have paid any attention to the list of related search terms at the bottom of the search list. To cite an example, if you put up a search for modular kitchen designs, you can see at the bottom of the search results, a list of keyword phrases related to the search. These could definitely give a boost to your ideas and help you in setting up the final list of keywords.
Now that you have made a list of keywords, always give it a second thought. Are these keywords relevant to your website? Will the visitors find what they are looking for if they reach your website? If they don’t, they can bounce off from your page and look for some other better website that fulfill their desires. If more and more users bounce off from your website you are at stake because Google keeps an eye on the sites with high bounce rate and this would definitely affect your ranking. But never get disheartened, as with anything there are hits and misses, you should definitely give it a try and probably a miss would give more clarity towards your requirement. It is better to re-evaluate your keywords every 6 months. You can always get a grip on to the search results, if you cast an eye over it.
Now, after finalizing the keywords you need to know, where and how to add keywords in your website? You can always add the keywords into
- Content: Content is always the king. A compelling content with aptly placed keywords can take your website’s ranking to glory. But too much of keywords stuffing can cost you your position in SERPS. Blogs seeded to a website plays an important role in picking up positions. Writing a blog related to a keyword phrase can do wonders. This practice would definitely aid in improving your ranking.
- Header tags: The Header tag is similar to a heading that stands out from the rest of the content and is meant to convey the main idea. Besides that, it do not have much direct impact on SEO. But there are still some indirect benefits like better user experience, which is good for SEO in the long run.
- Meta tags: Meta tags comprises of the title tag and the meta description. We often place our main keywords here and those keywords are displayed in the search results. The length limit of title tag is 70 characters while that of meta description is 150-160 characters. Although, Google displays these texts in the search engine results, they don’t favor the rankings of the site. Yahoo and Ask.com are some of the few crawlers that consider meta tags as a ranking factor.
I have tried my level best to showcase some of the best practices to improve your website’s position and ranking. Hope, I have done justice to it. The above techniques can definitely help you in the long run and as you know, SEO is a slow process, give it its time. Good luck..